Author Flora Haines Loughead was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on July 12, 1855. By 1870, her family had moved to West Lincoln, Ilinois. Flora graduated from Lincoln University in 1872. She married Charles E. Apponyi in Sacramento in August of 1875. Eleven years later, after divorcing her husband, Flora married John Loughead in San Francisco, California. She had children with both husbands.
Flora was the author of and a contributor to many books, including the 1898 novel The Black Curtain. She also edited Life, Diary and Letters of Oscar Lovell Shafter, Associate Justice, Supreme Court of California, January 1, 1864, to December 31, 1868, in 1915. In 1899, Flora accused Charles H. Hoyt of plagiarizing books she had written in the early 1890s for his play "A Contented Woman."
In addition to penning her books, Flora also wrote for newspapers and periodicals. In 1895, she was writing for The San Francisco Call. Flora was a contributor to Household in 1903, and "When The Prince Came," her story about California, began its run as a serial in the June 1905 edition of Sunset Magazine. By 1908, Flora was editing for The San Francisco Chronicle.
During her career, Flora became friends with Helen Hunt Jackson and many other writers.
Also very interested in libraries, she wrote The Libraries of California: Containing Descriptions of the Principal Private and Public Libraries Throughout the State in 1878,
By 1897, Flora was a member of the Woman's Parliament of Southern California. That October, she was one of many participants at the Woman's Parliament's convention in Los Angeles.
After Florence and John's divorce, she married David A. Guitierrez, who was twelve years her junior, in November of 1908.
During the 1930s, Flora lived at 1871 Park Drive in Los Angeles. She later moved to Alameda, where she passed away on January 27, 1943. She was buried in Mountain View Cemetery, Oakland, California.
Person Item Type Metadata
Page(s) in WOC
Name in WOC
State or Country of Birth
Age at First Marriage
Occupation(s) in WOC
Location (Address, City/Town, State [if USA] or Country)
- Los Angeles herald. (Los Angeles [Calif.]), 28 May 1905. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress. <http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85042462/1905-05-28/ed-1/seq-31/>
- The Minneapolis journal. (Minneapolis, Minn.), 06 May 1903. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress. <http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83045366/1903-05-06/ed-1/seq-13/>
- Ancestry.com. California, Death Index, 1940-1997 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2000. Original data: State of California. California Death Index, 1940-1997. Sacramento, CA, USA: State of California Department of Health Services, Center for Health Statistics.
- Year: 1900; Census Place: Oakland Ward 1, Alameda, California; Page: 5; Enumeration District: 0340; FHL microfilm: 1240082 Ancestry.com. 1900 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Twelfth Census of the United States, 1900. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1900. T623, 1854 rolls.
- Year: 1870; Census Place: West Lincoln, Logan, Illinois; Roll: M593_248; Page: 270B; Family History Library Film: 545747Ancestry.com. 1870 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch. Original data:1870 U.S. census, population schedules. NARA microfilm publication M593, 1,761 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d. Minnesota census schedules for 1870. NARA microfilm publication T132, 13 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.
- San Francisco, California, City Directory, 1899. Ancestry.com. U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
- Los Angeles A-L, California, City Directory, 1937 Ancestry.com. U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
California State Library; Sacramento, California; Great Register of Voters, 1900-1968 Ancestry.com. California, Voter Registrations, 1900-1968 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2017.
California State Library; Sacramento, California; Biographical File . Ancestry.com. California, Biographical Index Cards, 1781-1990 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011. This collection was indexed by Ancestry World Archives Projectcontributors.
|This Item||knows||Item: JACKSON, Mrs. Helen Maria Fiske|